Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I am Eve

I identify a lot with Eve. When I hear a pastor talk about her, I perk up as though they are talking about me. Ultimately I feel as though they are really and truly telling my story when they tell hers. If somebody speaks ill of Eve, I bristle like they've insulted me and would defend her as readily as I'd defend myself--because in my mind I am her.

Her ultimate sin is the same as mine--pride. She wanted to be like God. She wanted to be wise, she wanted answers. It seemed to her there was no obvious reason she shouldn't have them. The act of defiance, the first sin, was an assertion of independence from God, though ultimately the act of enslavement to sin, a far worse master.

I think at the heart of things I must simply be Eve all over again.

The original sinner, you understand?

I want answers. I want knowledge. It's suffocation just being a piece in God's greater puzzle when I want to see the bigger picture. I don't want to be in a role blindly, not knowing what effect I will have on the greater story. Like Eve, I am naïve and susceptible to lies. A child of that Mother of All People, the Dawn of the Human Race, I was born fallen and confused, incapable of separating lies from the Truth. In my childness, I am prey to every serpent that crosses my path. My heart is tumultuously torn from love to love, till each new passion means nothing and the great power of my emotions (once a perfect gift of a fiery God) is valueless. I have traded love of God for love of self, and love of service (that service for which I was created) for love of domination, which sometimes masquerades under the stolen title of "Freedom".

Ultimately the only thing that separates me from Eve is Jesus.


--Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment